A Modified Sorbetto 

So I’ve got another Sorbetto made. I originally lengthened this pattern by about 3 inches already but I modified it a little more this time by taking out the curve at the waistline and just made a straight seam all the way down that flared out a bit at the bottom.  Also  I made the back neckline a little higher and took out the pleat down the middle.  I also chose to widen the high bust area a bit because my first sorbetto was just a little bit too tight there.

To do that I drew a vertical line that ran parallel to the fold line from the middle shoulder seam down, then a horizontal line perpendicular to that line a little below the arm hole at the side seam.  I cut out the L shape and brought it over 1/2 an inch.  I re-drew my shoulder seams and re-drew the side seams without the curve at the waistline, making it a little wider.  I did this for both the front and back pieces and for the front piece I cut out the dart and moved it over to meet up with the new seam.

I found that I really liked the results of doing this.  Widening the high bust area this way worked great because it didn’t mess with the dart at all.  That is the one thing I don’t like about doing a small bust adjustment.  It always makes the dart so small.  I think I am going to try this method again in the future for other tops or bodices.

I know I am going to get a lot of use out of this top.  Its a great tank for summer and I love the print.  It feels so much more comfortable than my other Sorbetto because its nice and roomy.

Pattern:  Sorbetto by Colette Patterns

Fabric:  a silk-like polyester fabric from Joann

Changes:  Lengthened by 3 inches, widened the high bust area, took the curve out of the waistline, took out the middle pleat, and made the back neckline higher.

 

 

Mimi Blouse

I can’t tell you how good it feels to finally be back at my machine!  My machine was actually waiting for me as soon as we got back.  I had sold my machine in Ecuador for the same amount it cost brand new and bought myself a new one so that I didn’t have to travel back with it.

However, after we moved back, we were very busy trying to get settled in and I didn’t have any time for sewing.  And on top of that, I didn’t have a space to sew.  So one of the first things me and my hubby did was make a desk.  Well, my hubby did most of the work but I helped with the sanding and staining.

Once the desk was done, I got to sewing and the first garment I made was a Mimi blouse from Love At First Stitch.  I love how it turned out!

mimi blousemimi blousemimi blouse

This blouse sewed up like a dream.  It was the first project that I didn’t have to use my seam ripper as much for, which felt really good, as normally I am always making mistakes! I didn’t need to make any alterations or adjustments to it, which was also a huge plus, because I am terrible still at knowing how to adjust patterns.

And the best thing is, I got a serger! So now I can finally have nice finished seams on the inside of my garments.  See how pretty that looks!
mimi blouse

I was searching for the perfect buttons for this shirt and couldn’t find anything in my town.  Then, my mother showed me her stash of buttons and I found these beautiful ivory ones and I knew they would look perfect with this blouse.  I am so glad she let me have them!
mimi blouse

Specifications:

  • Pattern:  Mimi Blouse from Love At First Stitch
  • Materials:  Rayon fabric from Joann’s , old ivory buttons from my mom.
  • Size:  2
  • Adjustments:  None

I love this blouse.  I think it is a great  addition to my summer wardrobe and I particularly love how it looks with my chambray clemence skirt.  Now, on to my next project!

The Sorbetto Top

Sorbetto TopOk so I may have been a little too ambitious using this material for this top.  It is a very soft delicate material, almost silk-like, and I tell you, it wasn’t easy to work with!  However, I did manage to get a wearable top out of it.

I used the free Sorbetto pattern by Colette Patterns.

I do not like to wear sleeveless shirts much anymore so I decided to add sleeves to mine.  I used the free pdf sleeve pattern for this blouse over at Sew Incidentally.
Sorbetto Top

This project was a tad bit tougher than anything else I have taken on up till now, however, it is a good beginner project.  I had to learn how to do darts, insert sleeves, and make and attatch bias tape.  It really was a great learning experience.

It turned out ok.  There are of course lots of imperfections like crooked stitching and the seam finishing inside looks horrible to me.  Of course, now I am wanting a serger real bad, but I have be patient as I can’t get one right now.  I figure if I keep up with sewing and get better, then I can splurge a year from now and buy one.

The only alterations or changes I made to this pattern was the adding of the sleeves and also I added more length to it, as I could see when I made my practice one that the shirt was too short for my long torso.  I basically added about 3 inches but I also made a bigger hem at the bottom.

sorbetto top pattern(Here is a photo of the pattern after I added the three inches to lengthen it.  This has been updated from the original post.)

Even though it isn’t perfect, I still love it!  I love this pattern and the color.  I think it looks great with jeans, with skirts, and with a cardigan over it.   So it is a very versatile shirt that I am sure I will get a lot of use out of.  Sorbetto Top Sorbetto TopSorbetto TopSorbetto TopSorbetto Top

Alright, that is all for now.

I won’t be posting much the next week or so as my parents are coming to visit us  and I am so excited.  This is their first time coming to Ecuador to visit us and I can’t wait and have a bunch of stuff planned.  So I may post a couple of past projects but it won’t be much.  Bye for now!