Today I finally made this cozy for our french press that my husband has been bugging me for a while now to make.
This is the first project I have done that I have not followed any tutorial or used any pattern. I used left over fabric that I had from making some (very pathetic) chair cushions and for the insulation material inside I used an old ironing pad that you put on top of a washing machine to iron clothes that I wasn’t using any longer. I used big wooden buttons to keep it together.
2. I folded the fabric I wanted to use in half, right sides together, and placed the insulation piece on top. I traced around it onto the fabric. After that I pinned inside the traced area to keep it in place and cut around the traced lines leaving about a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
3. Then I stitched together on top of the line that I had traced starting on the end where the buttons would go and stitching all the way around but leaving an opening big enough to stuff the insulation material in.
4. After that I turned it right side out and stuffed the insulation inside and ironed down flat. Then I folded the opening ends in and stitched the opening closed, sewing close to the edge. Its difficult to see in the pictures but then I sewed straight lines all the way across about every inch to make a quilted effect.
5. Then I made my little tabs for the buttons. I think I should have actually sewed the tabs into the seam when I was sewing the pieces of fabric together, but unfortunately I didn’t think about it. So instead I made the tabs by cutting out 2 rectangles that were about 2 inches wide. I folded the ends down about 1/4 in and ironed down. Then I folded each side over halfway and ironed down, and then folded the whole thing in half and ironed down creating a thin tab and just sewed down lengthwise.
6. Then I pinned the tabs on the inside of the cozy (the side that will not be seen) with just the right amount of loop sticking out to be able to go around the button I was using and sewed in place.
7. Last I sewed my buttons on the side facing out on the opposite end.
So If I could do it over I would have sewn the tabs for the buttons inside the seam rather than doing it this way, but I’m learning as I go. Next time that is what I will do, if I make another, which I just might since I have extra of that insulation.
Alright that’s all for now. I will be posting some of my past projects soon.